Northern Powergrid Priority Services are there to support their vulnerable customers. To raise awareness with communities and professional staff they are running free workshops about their Priority Services register as well as their social and community work and a new community grant fund.
Northern Powergrid is the Electricity Distribution Network Operator who keep the lights on, the kettles boiling and the phones charged for 8 million people across the North East as well as Yorkshire and north Lincolnshire.
As we head into winter some of the challenges facing the individuals and communities can become intensified by bad weather. The free workshops will explore how we can work with you to avoid and minimise the impact on the most vulnerable people our communities.
In Newcastle the workshop will run on Thursday November 16th, 2017 at Mea House, Ellison Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8XB.
They would like to invite you to their community event where they want to meet local partners, explain Northern Powergrid Priority Services and explore how they can work with you to support vulnerable people within our communities
They will be launching their annual community fund which has an allocation of £50,000 for grants to voluntary and community projects based in the Northern Powergrid operating areas. Grants are available from £1,000 to £10,000.
The aim of the fund is to:
- Support local energy projects, to get off the ground. Including; energy generation and purchasing
- Alleviating hardship associated with fuel poverty and promoting innovative energy-related environmental impact, energy efficiency or carbon reduction
- Educating and informing communities about safety in relation to energy and street works
- Encouraging interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects and related career opportunities
- Promoting use of the Priority Services Register and additional support, a free service provided by suppliers and network operators to customers in need within communities
Applications will be open from December 2017 and end January 2018. Grants will be awarded in March 2018.
They would love you to come along to the event; find out more about Northern Powergrid and our community fund and see how to work together.
This event will:
- Explain who they are and what they do
- Provide you with information about Northern Powergrid’s Priority Services, their Priority Service Register (PSR) and how they support vulnerable customers
- Offer you free resources to make sure the vulnerable communities you support are prepared for winter and more resilient in the event of a power cut
- Launch their community fund
- Information about their social and community programmes, including their partnership with Citizens Advice offering free affordability advice
There will be a choice of a morning or afternoon workshop for community partners to attend
Am: 9:30 – 12noon
Optional network lunch – 12-1pm
The event is open to anyone working with vulnerable or potentially vulnerable customers and communities. This may include but is not limited to:
- Third sector organisations – charities, community, voluntary organisations
- GP surgeries
- Adult Social Services
- Hospital discharge professionals
- Fire and rescue
- Parish Councillors
- Councillors and MPs